Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It is the Christmas Season A Time for Joy

It is the Christmas Season a time for joy. I am feeling a deep gratitude of joy from all of Dan’s friends who have responded to this blog. You have brought our family comfort and joy in recalling shared memories. Your expressions of love have supported us in our difficult separation. We miss Dan, his contagious smile, his love for learning, his loyalty, and his constant willingness to help our family. In times of loneliness I try to remember not, “Why was he taken so young?” but rather, “Why was I so blessed to have him for my son for forty one years?” It is my privilege to be Dan’s Mother!

When Dan was about nine years old, all of the children were telling us what gift they wanted Santa to bring them. Dan didn’t respond (which wasn’t very much like Dan), then he answered by saying, “I really don’t want a gift.” He kept his stand the entire season.

On Christmas morning Santa brought the children many gifts, but there was nothing for Dan. Even he seemed surprised. He did have a full sock. As usual, the children, one at a time, emptied their socks. Dan, being the oldest, was last. It seemed to me we had been waiting forever. In the toe of his sock was a note telling him to go look in the barn. I can’t remember Dan ever moving that fast! In the barn was “Ginger” his own horse with a big red ribbon around her neck, and a small boy with a huge smile also around “Ginger’s” neck. Dan’s gift was perfect in every way!

Now, we must wait for the greatest gift of all-Eternal Life. It was hard waiting Christmas morning. It is hard waiting for our Greatest Gift, to be an eternal family together forever. Jesus made a great sacrifice to give us this Gift. We must live the commandments and be worthy of the Gift. I try each day to live my life so that I am worthy to be united with Dan again. What a reunion it will be! I am so grateful for the Savior’s Gift to all of us.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment