Sunday, April 5, 2009

Dan was an excellent example

Dan was the eldest grandson, and as such was a great example to all of us. Dan had the unique ability to create a personal relationship with each of his cousins. I felt genuine concern, interest, and love from Dan. Dan was a great hugger. I looked forward to seeing him at every family party and getting a hug from him. He had a contagious, deep laugh.

When I was very young, Dan came and lived in our basement while he attended to USU. I worshipped him. He was amazing. The older brother that we didn’t have. He would take us to school in the back of his Jeep, and all of a sudden, we were cool, seriously. And then, he started dating Amy, the most gorgeous girl that my 8 year old eyes had ever seen. I remember sneaking up the attic stairs and peering over the top to spy on this perfect couple, hoping to catch them kiss. And when their courting ended in marital bliss, I have always looked to them as an example of a strong marriage and wonderful family.

I always enjoyed family testimony meetings with Dan. He had such a strong testimony and was excellent at expressing it. One testimony meeting in particular that I have always remembered was on the cousin handcart trek. We were gathered around, where some of our ancestors had died, and Dan bore testimony of an experience he had a few years earlier with his Dad. They were on a trek similar to that one, with the CES, and one man remarked that he didn’t know why the Lord didn’t save those early pioneers. Dan with a smile, and tears in his eyes bore testimony to us, at that same spot, that the Lord did save them. He has saved all of us. Dan had a deep understanding of the atonement, and that testimony that I heard him bore at that moment, caused me to yearn to have a deeper understanding and appreciation of the atonement for myself.

Love,

Allyson (White) Frankman

1 comment: