Thursday, April 16, 2009

I remember Dan being able always making people feel at ease and comfortable. He had a laid back way to make people feel at ease through humor and genuine kindness. He was not judgmental and always wanted to serve and help others. As Ward Clerk, I remember meeting Dan at his house not knowing him too well yet to go do something church related. One of the younger kids let me in, and then disappeared-- I thought to tell their dad I was there. About 15 minutes later Dan came down (in non-church attire) surprised and said, “How long have you been here? Do you want some pizza?” just as pizza had been delivered. I declined on the pizza, but knew this was my type of guy—cool, laid back and easy going.

I can remember watching Dan as he would sit on the stand. As his family would come into sacrament meeting, Dan’s eyes would light up at the at the sight of his kids coming down the aisle. He wasn’t good at hiding his emotion. A big smile would cover his face, and on occasion watery eyes, and you could see his focus turn from whatever was going on to them. There was never any mistaking Dan’s love for his family. I remember many times Dan bearing his testimony, getting emotional and telling of his great love and appreciation for his family, and dear wife Amy.

Dan is a man I greatly admire and look up to. On many times while following his term as 2nd Counselor in the bishopric, I would ask myself, “What would Dan do?” I will continue to ask that as he was truly a great family man of Christ-like character.

---Mike Pugmire

I had the chance to serve with Dan in the Amber Rose ward while he was in the bishopric and I was the Relief Society President. We attended the same Ward Council and Welfare meetings. We worked as part of the group to organize and meet the needs of a newly formed ward. Dan had a strong testimony of the gospel. That would come out as he shared ideas and talked about ways to reach out to less-active members of the ward. Dan loved his family so much, especially his wife. I remember him saying how he loved going to the temple, but it was not the best date night, you don't even get to sit by your spouse. Amy did a Relief Society mini-class on meal preparation and she said that Dan helped her with her system of organizing meals, and he helped her come up with ideas to make it work. He was a devoted and caring husband and father. He supported Amy as she took an Art class, that gave her a chance to develop a talent and have some time for herself. Dan Howells was a wonderful example of how we should be living our life. I know this will live on in his children and generations to come.

--Erin Pugmire

No comments:

Post a Comment