Saturday, April 4, 2009

A follower first

Dan was a natural leader but made him great in my eyes was his ability to follow. He would often sit back enjoying the conversation and then share input beyond his years. I enjoyed sitting in bishopric meetings with him where you could witness his meekness and wise counsel firsthand. He was a careful listener and a wise counselor.

He had great pride in doing things himself from completing a basement to putting a home up for sale. Even with a busy schedule I remember him installing slate tile in his basement bathroom inclusive of a tub surround. I'll remember with fondness working with him on the last bit of this project and the cleanup --such a positive attitude. It was easy to see the pride in his eyes upon tackling a job like that. His leadership ability shown through when on moving day he organized a long line of volunteers from the basement to the garage as we shifted food storage from basement to trailer in assembly line style (our knees and backs thanked him for that). His trust in and gratitude towards me will be a forever memory. I'm among the fortunate that crossed his family's path. I was too choked up at the viewing to share my thoughts with Amy and Kathryn, but I sure love the Howells family. John (Shawnell) Larsen

1 comment: