Thursday, April 16, 2009

My first experience with Brother Howells was when Shad was in our nursery. Shad really struggled in nursery and Dan was always there with him. He frequently helping out with snacks and lessons. He was a very patient dad.

Of course, when I got called to be Scoutmaster I spent a lot more time with Dan. I was terrified when Dan asked me to be the Scoutmaster, but he helped me recognize the importance of the Scouting program in the lives of young men. As a new scoutmaster it was a struggled to get our troop established on sound scouting principles. Dan would frequently attend our Tuesday night activities to help with crowd control and provide encouragement. At the time we didn't divide into Scouts, Varsity, or Ventures so 17 boys would come each week. The support he offered me each week was probably the biggest reason I made it through those first two years. I am so grateful for his help. I am coming up on my five year mark as Scoutmaster and I credit Dan with a lot of the success our program has had and for helping me catch the scouting vision. Before the Howells left our ward he also nominated me for an award called the Second Miler Award. I didn't fully realize the significance of that award until recently. Only a handful of people get that award each year. I know that he valued what I was doing. He recognized the work I was putting into my calling. That meant the world to me that he would nominate me for such an award. I am so grateful he would take the time to honor me that way.

Dan was not only motivational but also helped with the logistical aspects of scouting. Our first week long scout camp was at Camp Frontier. We had 13 boys attend camp and 4 leaders. I was feeling a lot of stress trying to find drivers. He graciously drove his van full of scouts and equipment to East Fork of the Bear. The next year we went to Bear Lake Aquatics Base and he didn't hesitate to drive us there as well. I would tease him about his 15 passenger van being the scouts' shuttle.

For our April 2006 camp-out we went to Vernon Reservoir. Dan came with us and volunteered to drive. We took a canoe with us. After we got camp set up and were cooking dinner 2 of the more rambunctious scouts wanted to go canoeing. I told them that they couldn't go because there would be no supervision. Dan offered to provide the supervision. The three of them left. The rest of us ate dinner and were having a good time around the campfire. I decided to cook two hot dogs and take them and some chips down to Dan because they had been gone a really long time. When I got down to the reservoir I realized the reason they were still gone. The two boys wouldn't come back into shore. Dan and I eventually got them to come in. We were both pretty frustrated. At that point I gave Dan the dinner I had made for him. I was surprised and humbled when he gave each of those boys a hot dog and his chips. He really cared about them. That night we had a testimony meeting around the campfire. Dan's testimony to the young men was amazing. I do not recall all the words that he said, but I remember feeling the Spirit burn within me as it has during some of the most spiritual events of my life.

When I found out the Howells were moving from our ward I was devastated. Dan had been such a big part of Scouting in our ward that I felt some panic. I remember tearfully hugging him good-bye at church. I'm sure that he was caught off guard, but that is the kind of influence he had on me. I hope that his interactions with me were as meaningful. The impact that he had on my life will be everlasting. I am grateful that Lord allowed me to have these experiences with Dan.

Andrew Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment