Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More memories from Tucson

Dan Howells I can honestly say was one of the most influential people in my life. The amazing thing is that I know there are a lot of people that can say that about this wonderful man.

I just called him ‘Howells’ because not only was I fortunate enough to have him as my Bishop but as my seminary teacher as well. I was the one ALWAYS giving him a hard time and questioning EVERYTHING… As a teenager and still today I love to debate and question. That is usually what our seminary classes turned into, a debate, when we had to move on for the rest of the class I would stay so our debate (and usually my ignorant disagreement) would continue. He was so patient with me and even though I know I frustrated him on more than one occasion I know he loved it. It was something I needed to grow and he knew that.

I moved up to Anchorage Alaska almost two years ago, and haven’t seen or spoken to Howells in years, but he still affects my life and the way I think about things. His warming smile and love for his beautiful wife and children is something that I always looked up to and hope to recreate in my own home one day. The life lessons and human compassion that Howells carried and shared every day helped everyone that he was around grow to be a better person. I look forward when the day that I can thank him for all that he has done for me. Dan Howells has an astounding spirit and I can think of no one more fitting to help the Lord with his work in paradise.
I wrote this for a good friend of mine that passed away a few years ago but I find it just as fitting now as it was then:

*In the end*
Do not be sad for me
For now my soul is finally free
So not shed a tear
Because now I have nothing to fear
I have left the pain of this world behind
However these things I ask you to keep in mind
Never hid your feelings for someone
For you never know when their days are done
Treat each other with respect
Do not outcast the reject
Love each other the way that I loved you
With love you can make it through
I will be looking down on you always
Waiting through all the days
Until it is your turn to ascend
And we can meet again

With Much Love,
Nicole Dellerman

No comments:

Post a Comment